My generic code of conduct for technical discussion rooms.
- Apply Common Sense.
- Err on the side of politeness.
- In this community we are bonded by a common interest, we are not friends and not supposed to act like we would act towards our best friends.
- Electronic communication makes things prone to misunderstandings. Minimize sarcasm and other things that can easily be taken as offensive.
- Keep the channel ontopic. There is no need to talk about your favorite political parties or other sensitive topics in a technical channel. There are places for that. Examples are abortion, gay rights, racism, …, you get it.
- Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity (or ignorance). Assume that people act in good faith. If not, your client has “ignore lists” for specific people.
- Don’t be a dog.